Edward Bullock Rodgers, founder of ‘Rodgers Brothers Repetition Engineers’ started commercial production of fishing reels in 1930. Before this they were repairing reels for Hartley’s and Melbourne’s sports depot. There was an unsuccessful patent application in 1930 for a Birmingham style trout reel and then applied for another patent which was approved in 1932. As well as Nottingham reels, they produced a range of side-cast models all metal trout reels and a heavy duty multiplying game reel. During its peak period in the 1950’s, production reached 50,000 reels a year exporting to the UK, New Zealand and South Africa. They continued to produce the reel until around 1960. They made all their own metal components and the Bakelite spools and handles were made by H.B Charmers.