John Haloyd, owner of Haloyd Motors Northcote Victoria, successfully patented this reel in 1950. The first model was produced in 1950, made from die-cast aluminium using dies made at Haloyd Motors. It is estimated that 1,000-1,500 reels were made. A second model was introduced in 1957 using polyamide nylon for the construction of the gear housing flyer and cover. If the reel got wet, the nylon would swirl causing the bearings to jam on the shaft, this was a disaster. Only 500-600 of these reels were made.